Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Fettuccine with Red Pepper Cayenne Sauce

I found this recipe for Fettuccine With Red Pepper Cayenne Sauce at Recipe for Disaster. This recipe was certainly not a disaster. ;) I made a few changes from the original recipe that will be reflected here.

This recipe is easily something you'd order at a nice Italian restaurant. My kids inhaled it- even the one that doesn't like peppers. This would be fabulous with grilled chicken on top also.

12 oz. fettuccine pasta
3 red bell peppers, julienne sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced (I didn't have fresh garlic- which is not a usual thing here- so I substituted a few shakes of garlic powder.)
1/2 small onion, minced
1/3 of a zucchini julienne sliced (I made zucchini bread today and just threw in the leftover)
Roasted Tomatoes (I threw these in because I had them left over from pizza on Sunday)
3/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (Once again I didn't really measure- I shook to taste)
1 cup fat sour cream (I was out of sour cream also- I used powdered sour cream. I think it'd be good with heavy whipping cream as well)
3/4 cup chicken broth (I did this to consistency)
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I didn't have that much Parmesan so I threw in some asiago, mozzarella and topped it with Romano)
salt and pepper to taste.

Cook pasta in salted water until al dente. Drain.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute red bell peppers, garlic, onions and zucchini in olive oil over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.

Stir in the sour cream and broth. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese- when cheese is melted add tomatoes. Stir in salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste.

Toss hot pasta with sauce and serve with Focciacia.

No comments: